From the beginning, more than any other single reason, President John F. Kennedy's vow to put a man on the moon by the end of the 60's mad e Clear Lake HS's existence inevitable.
Though the Johnson Space Center is named for a native son of Texas, the Massachusetts-born president had a major impact transforming the area's growth from the sleepy fishing villages on the creek and bay to one of Houston's most desired addresses.
The coastal plains that had been home to the Karankawa Indians, most noted for their surliness and aggressiveness, become one of the most high-tech areas of the country, housing much of the country’s manned space flight program and attendant industries.
Clear Creek HS had been the address for Bay Area students for years after it’s opening in 1956, replacing Webster High School as the area’s high school. At one point, Clear Creek would service students from 120 square miles of southern Harris County and northern Galveston County.
However, when the Clear Lake HS opened on Aug 17, 1972, it was noted the school’s 243,623sqft was ½ the size of the Astrodome! The school was originally built on 50 acres at a cost of $4,731,443 (1972 cost). The original enrollment was approximately 1,900 students. The expected enrollment for 2012-2013 is approximately 2,600 students, down from a high of almost 3,500 students!